Capesthorne, a township-chapelry in Prestbury parish, Cheshire, 2½ miles ESE of Chelford station on the Crewe and Manchester section of the L. & N.W.R., and 5 W by S of Macclesfield. Post town, Crewe; money order and telegraph office, Chelford. Acreage, 744; population of the township, 114; of the ecclesiastical parish, 520. Capesthorne Hall is a seat of the Davenports, to whom it passed in 1748 by marriage with an heiress of the Ward family; the estate had been in the hands of the latter family since the time of Edward III.; the mansion is Elizabethan, and is surrounded by extensive grounds and a well-wooded park, which contains a large lake called Keedsmere. The living is a perpetual curacy, annexed to that of Siddington, in the diocese of Chester; net value, £365 with residence. The church was built in 1722, and was restored in 1888.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Macclesfield|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Capesthorne from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Cheshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Cheshire papers online:
The Visitation of Cheshire, 1580 is available on the Heraldry page.