Ham, a parish in Wiltshire, adjacent to Berks, 4 miles S by W of Hungerford station on the G.W.R. It has a post office under Hungerford; money order office, Shalboum; telegraph office, Hungerford. Acreage, 1605; population, 241. Part of the land is downs, disposed in sheepwalk. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Salisbury; gross value, £327 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of Oxford. The church has a tower.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Ham All Saints|
|Hundred||Elstub and Everley|
|Poor Law union||Hungerford|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The register dates from the year 1530.
Findmypast, in association with the Wiltshire Record Office, have the following parish records online for Ham:
Church of England
All Saints (parish church)
The church of All Saints is a small edifice of stone, in the Early English style, and consists of chancel, nave, north porch, and a tower with pinnacles, containing 4 bells; there are sittings for 200 persons.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Ham from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Ham (All Saints))
Online maps of Ham are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Wiltshire papers online: