Great Wishford, Wiltshire
Wishford, Great, a parish, with a village, in Wiltshire, on the river Wiley, with a station on the G.W.R., 121 miles from London, and 2½ NNW of Wilton. It has a post and money order office under Salisbury; telegraph office, Wilton. Acreage, 1679; population, 335. There is a parish council consisting of six members. The manor belongs to the Earl of Pembroke. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Salisbury; net value, £280 with residence. Patron, the Earl of Pembroke. The church was enlarged in 1829, and has been restored. There are an endowed school, almshouses, and other charities.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Wishford St. Giles|
|Hundred||Branch and Dole|
|Poor Law union||Wilton|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Findmypast, in association with the Wiltshire Record Office, have the following parish records online for Great Wishford:
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Great Wishford from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Wishford, Great (St. Giles))
Online maps of Great Wishford are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Wiltshire papers online: