Fonthill Bishop, Wiltshire
Bishops-Fonthill or Fonthill-Bishop, a parish in Wilts, 2 miles ENE of Hindon, and 3 N of Tisbury station on the L. & S.W.R. It has a post office under Salisbury; money order and telegraph office, Hindon. Acreage, 1797; population, 165. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Salisbury; gross value, £200. Patron, the Bishop of Oxford. The church is Early English, and was restored in 1879.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Fonthill Bishop All Saints|
|Poor Law union||Tisbury|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The registers date from the year 1754.
Findmypast, in association with the Wiltshire Record Office, have the following parish records online for Fonthill Bishop:
Church of England
All Saints (parish church)
The church of All Saints is a cruciform edifice of stone, originally in the Norman style, and consisting of chancel, nave, transepts, south porch, and a central tower containing 2 bells: in 1871 the chancel was rebuilt at the expense of the Rev. R. W. Sheldon M.A. rector 1866-92, and the whole church was thoroughly restored in 1879 at the cost of Thomas Sheldon esq. of Clevedon, his brother, Mr. Wyatt, being the architect: there are 125 sittings.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Fonthill Bishop from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Fonthill, Bishop's (All Saints))
Online maps of Fonthill Bishop are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Wiltshire papers online: