UK Genealogy Archives logo

Fittleton, Wiltshire

Historical Description

Fittleton, a parish in Wiltshire, on the river Avon, 9 miles S by W of Pewsey station on the G.W.R., and 6 N Amesbury. It includes the tithing of Hacklestone. Post town,Marlborough; money order and telegraph office, Nether-avon. Acreage, 3213; population, 328. The living is a rectory, united with Hacklestone, in the diocese of Salisbury; net value, £311 with residence. Patron, Magdalen College, Oxford. The church is good.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountyWiltshire 
Ecclesiastical parishFittleton All Saints 
HundredElstub and Everley 
Poor Law unionPewsey 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Church Records

The register dates from the year 1623.


Churches

Church of England

All Saints (parish church)

The church of All Saints is a building of flint and stone, in the Decorated and Early English styles, consisting of small chancel, clerestoried nave of three bays, aisles, south porch and a western tower with spire containing 6 bells: there are several monuments to the Beach family, an altar tomb with brasses to Roger Kay, 1612, and memorial windows to the Rev. W. Pearse, d. 1868, and the Rev. Thomas Pearse, d. 1885: the font is Norman: the nave was restored in 1878, and the rest of the church in 1903: there are 195 sittings.


Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Fittleton from the following:


Maps

Online maps of Fittleton are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Wiltshire papers online:

CountyWiltshire
RegionSouth West
CountryEngland
Postal districtSP4
Post TownSalisbury