Fifield Bavant, Wiltshire
Fifield Bavant, a parish in Wilts, on an affluent of the river Avon, 4½ miles S of Dinton station of the L. & S.W.R., and 7 SW of Wilton. Post town, Broad Chalk under Salisbury. Acreage, 870; population of civil parish, 43; of the ecclesiastical, 49. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Salisbury; gross value, £164. Patron, the Marquis< of Bath. The church is very small.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Wilton|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Findmypast, in association with the Wiltshire Record Office, have the following parish records online for Fifield Bavant:
Church of England
St. Martin (parish church)
The church of St. Martin is a very small building of stone, consisting of nave only, and has 40 sittings.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Fifield Bavant from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Fifield-Bavant)
Online maps of Fifield Bavant are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Wiltshire papers online: