Etchilhampton, a tithing chapelry in All Cannings parish, Wiltshire, at the source of the Avon, 2¼ miles SE of Devizes station on the G.W.R. Post town, Devizes. The area is included with the parish of All Cannings. The living is a chapelry, annexed to the rectory of All Cannings, in the diocese of Salisbury; joint net value, £850. Patron, Lord Ashburton. The church of All Saints, All Cannings, as well as of St Anne's, is mentioned in Domesday book, both then paying tribute½ to the Abbess of St Mary, Winchester. See ALL CANNINGS.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Devizes|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The parish register dates from the year 1630.
Findmypast, in association with the Wiltshire Record Office, have the following parish records online for Etchilhampton:
Church of England
St. Andrew (parish church)
The church of St. Andrew is a small but ancient edifice of grey stone, in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave, south porch and a western turret containing 2 bells: in the chancel is an ancient tomb with recumbent effigies of a knight in armour, and a lady, probably of the time of Edward III.: the east and south windows are stained, the former being the gift of Thomas Plumptre Methuen: the font is Late Norman, on a modern stem and base: the chancel was restored in 1868: there are 120 sittings.
Baptist Mission room
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Etchilhampton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Etchilhampton)
Online maps of Etchilhampton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Wiltshire papers online: