Enford, a tithing and a parish in Wilts. The tithing lies on the river Avon, in Salisbury Plain, 7 miles SSW of Pewsey station on the G.W.R., and 8¼ W by N of Ludgershall, and has a post office under Pewsey; money order and telegraph office, Upavon. The parish contains also the tithings of Fi-field, Chisenbury, Compton, Combe, Littlecott, Long Street,. and Newtown. Acreage, 8190; population of the civil parish½ 800; of the ecclesiastical, 753. The parish contains many barrows, and is a resort of sportsmen. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Salisbury; net value, £150 with residence. Patron, Christ's Hospital, London. The church, with a narrow nave supported on massive square pillars, dates from 1080, its most interesting feature being an octagonal vestry of unique design. The spire, said to have been second in the country only to that of Salisbury Cathedral, was struck by lightning in 1817, and in its fall destroyed the roof and utterly wrecked the interior, but left the walls intact. The building underwent repair in 1831, aud was restored at a cost of £1600 in 1893. There is a Baptist chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Enford All Saints|
|Hundred||Elstub and Everley|
|Poor Law union||Pewsey|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The parish register dates from the year 1631.
Findmypast, in association with the Wiltshire Record Office, have the following parish records online for Enford:
Church of England
All Saints or St. Margaret (parish church)
The church of All Saints or St. Margaret is a structure of flint and quarried stone, in the Early Norman style, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles of four bays, south porch and an embattled western tower, containing a clock and 6 bells, and an octagonal vestry of the 13th century: the church was repaired 1825-1831; in 1892 it was thoroughly restored at a cost of £1,500; a reredos was painted and presented by Mrs. B. Hussey-Freke, and a brass lectern given by Mrs. Cusse at the same time: there are 350 sittings.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Enford from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Enford (All Saints))
Online maps of Enford are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Wiltshire papers online: