Eisey, a parish in Wiltshire, on the river Thames and on the Severn and Thames Canal, contiguous with Gloucestershire, 1 mile NNE of Cricklade station on the Midland and South-Western Joint railway. It includes the tithing of Water Eaton, and its post town is Cricklade. Acreage, 2516; population, 128. The living is a vicarage, annexed to the vicarage of Latton, in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Patron, the Earl of St Germans. The church is a small stone building in the Perpendicular style.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Eisey St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Cricklade and Wootton-Bassett|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The Phillimore transcript of Marriages at Eisey 1575-1837, Wiltshire is available to browse online.
The register dates from the year 1571.
Findmypast, in association with the Wiltshire Record Office, have the following parish records online for Eisey:
Church of England
St. Mary (parish church)
The church of St. Mary is a small building of stone in the Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel, nave, south porch and a small turret on the western gable containing one bell: the church affords 100 sittings.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Eisey from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Eisey (St. Mary))
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Wiltshire papers online: