UK Genealogy Archives logo
DISCLOSURE: This page may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a commission.

East Knoyle, Wiltshire

Historical Description

Knoyle, East, a village and a parish in Wiltshire. The village stands 3¼ miles N by W of Semley station on the L. & S.W.R., and 2½ SW by S of Hindon. The parish comprises the tithings of Knoyle, Milton, and Upton. It has a post and money order office under Salisbury; telegraph office, Hindon. Acreage, 5923; population of the civil parish, 956; of the ecclesiastical, 920. The manor belongs to the Bishop of Winchester. Knoyle House is the seat of the Seymour family, and contains an interesting collection of pictures. Clouds is the residence of the Wyndhams. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Salisbury; net value,, £490 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of Oxford. The church is ancient, cruciform, and good, and has a modern nave and an embattled tower. There are Congregational and Primitive Methodist chapels. Sir Christopher Wren was a native, and his father was rector.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountyWiltshire 
Ecclesiastical parishEast Knoyle St. Mary 
HundredDownton 
Poor Law unionMere 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Church Records

The Phillimore transcript of Marriages at East Knoyle 1538-1812, Wiltshire is available to browse online.

The parish register dates from the year 1538.

Findmypast, in association with the Wiltshire Record Office, have the following parish records online for East Knoyle:

BaptismsBannsMarriagesBurials
1538-18741654-18011538-18371538-1907

Churches

Church of England

St. Mary the Virgin (parish church)

The church of St. Mary the Virgin, pleasantly seated on rising ground, is a cruciform building of stone, in the Early English and Perpendicular styles, consisting of chancel, nave of two bays, aisles, transept, south porch and an embattled western tower, 66 feet high, with turret and containing a clock and 6 bells; the church was restored in memory of Charles Richard Sumner, Bishop of Winchester (1827-69), and has sittings for 345 persons.

St. Mary the Virgin, East Knoyle

Congregational

Congregational Chapel

The Congregational chapel, erected in 1840, has 136 sittings.

Methodist

Primitive Methodist Chapel

Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for East Knoyle from the following:


Maps

Online maps of East Knoyle are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Wiltshire papers online:

CountyWiltshire
RegionSouth West
CountryEngland
Postal districtSP3
Post TownSalisbury

Advertisement

Advertisement