UK Genealogy Archives logo
DISCLOSURE: This page may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a commission.

Donhead St Andrew, Wiltshire

Historical Description

Donhead St Andrew, a village and a parish in Wilts. The village stands on the river Nadder, near its head, and near the boundary with Dorsetshire, 3 miles SSE of Semley station on the L. & S.W.R., and 3½ ENE of Shaftcsbury, and has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Salisbury. The parish comprises 2848 acres; population of the civil parish, 688; of the ecclesiastical, 704. Donhead Hall belonged once to a grandson of Sir Godfrey Kneller, and is now the seat of the Du Bonlay family. Tittlepath Hill here is encircled by Castle Rings camp, and perhaps gave rise to the name Donhead, which seems to be a corruption of Dunheved, signifying " the swelling hill." The parish is a resort of sportsmen. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Salisbury; value, o£600 with residence. The church is Later English, in good condition, has an embattled and pinnacled tower, and contains an ancient Norman font, and a curiously-sculptured column capital. The building was restored in 1876.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountyWiltshire 
Ecclesiastical parishDonhead St. Andrew 
HundredDunworth 
Poor Law unionTisbury 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Church Records

The register dates from the year 1645.

Findmypast, in association with the Wiltshire Record Office, have the following parish records online for Donhead St Andrew:

BaptismsBannsMarriagesBurials
1610-1880 1622-18361622-1880

Churches

Church of England

St. Andrew (parish church)

The church of St. Andrew, which lies in a deep hollow, is an ancient structure in the Perpendicular style, built of the green sandstone of the district, and consists of chancel and nave of six bays, with aisles (the south aisle built in 1826), south porch and a western tower, with an embattled parapet, adorned with pinnacles, and containing 4 bells; the chancel, rebuilt in 1838, contains four handsome stained windows: the whole of the church was re-seated in 1876: the tower was restored in 1895, at a cost of about £800: there are 220 sittings.


Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Donhead St Andrew from the following:


Maps

Online maps of Donhead St Andrew are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Wiltshire papers online:

CountyWiltshire
RegionSouth West
CountryEngland
Postal districtSP7
Post TownShaftesbury

Advertisement

Advertisement