Ditteridge or Ditcheridge, an ecclesiastical parish in Wiltshire, on an affluent of the river Avon, half a mile N by E of Box station on the G.W.R., and 7 miles WSW of Chip-penham. Post town, Box, under Chippenham; money order and telegraph office, Box. Population, 124. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol; value, £61. The church is Norman and Early English, and in good condition.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Chippenham|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The register dates from the year 1584.
Findmypast, in association with the Wiltshire Record Office, have the following parish records online for Ditteridge:
Church of England
St. Christopher (parish church)
The church of St. Christopher is an ancient edifice of stone in the Norman style, consisting of chancel, nave, south porch and a bell gable over the chancel arch, containing one bell: there is a curious old font: the whole of the windows are stained: the church was restored in 1859, and affords 100 sittings.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Ditteridge from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Ditteridge)
Online maps of Ditteridge are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Wiltshire papers online: