Dinton, a village and a parish in Wilts. The village stands near the river Nadder, 5½ miles W of Wilton; it has a station on the L. & S.W.R., 92 miles from London, and a post, money order, and telegraph office under Salisbury. The acreage of Dinton is 2461, and of Teffont 1646. Population of the civil parish, 413; of the ecclesiastical, 645. Dinton House is the seat of the Wyndham family. The living is a vicarage, united with the perpetual curacy of Teffont-Magna, in the diocese of Salisbury; value, £280. Patron, Magdalen College, Oxford. The church is good, and was thoroughly restored in 1876. Lord Clarendon the historian was born in the parsonage. Henry Lawes .the musician also was a native, whom Milton designates as" Harry, whose tuneful and well-measured song First taught our English music how to span Words with just note and accent."
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Dinton St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Wilton|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The parish registers, including Teffont, are complete from the year 1558, and contain the record of the baptism of Henry Lawes, the musician, January 1st, 1600, and of Edward Hyde, the first Earl of Clarendon, February 22nd, 1608, who was born here.
Findmypast, in association with the Wiltshire Record Office, have the following parish records online for Dinton:
Church of England
St. Mary the Virgin (parish church)
The church of St. Mary the Virgin is a cruciform building of stone, in the Transition Norman, Early English, Decorated and Perpendicular styles, consisting of chancel, nave, transepts, porch and an embattled central tower, containing a clock and 6 bells: it was repaired and re-seated in oak in 1876, under the direction of Mr. W. Butterfield, architect, at a cost of £2,000, and affords 279 sittings.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Dinton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Dinton (St. Mary))
Online maps of Dinton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Wiltshire papers online: