Butley, a village and a township in Prestbury parish, Cheshire, adjacent to Prestbury station on the L. & N.W.R., 3½ miles N of Macclesfield, which is the post town; money order and telegraph office, Prestbury. Acreage of township, 1811; population, 523. Butley Hall and Bonis Hall are the chief residences. Some of the inhabitants are silk weavers. Roman remains have been found. Newton, who wrote a history of the Saracens, was a native.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Macclesfield|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Butley from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Cheshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Cheshire papers online:
The Visitation of Cheshire, 1580 is available on the Heraldry page.