Collingbourne Kingston, Wiltshire
Collingbourne Kingston, a village and a parish in Wilts. The village stands on an affluent of the river Avon, 3½ miles NW of Ludgershall, and 1¼ mile from Collingbourne railway station, contains several old cottages of ornately-worked brick and flint, and has a post office under Marlborough and an inn; money order and telegraph office, Collingbourne Ducis. The parish includes the tithings of Southton, Brunton, Kingston, and Aughton. Acreage, 7400; population, 739. The manor belonged to the Collingbournes, one of whom was executed in the time of Richard III., on accusation of being a party to Buckingham's rebellion. The parish is a resort of sportsmen. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Salisbury; net value, £200 with residence. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Winchester. The church was restored in 1862. It contains memorials of the Pile and Richards families, and a brass of Constantine Darall of 1495. Nearly the whole parish belongs to the Marquis of Ailesbury, who is lord of the manor. There is a Wesleyan chapel. John Norris, the philosophical opponent of Locke, was a native, and his father was vicar.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Collingbourn-Kingstone St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Pewsey|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Findmypast, in association with the Wiltshire Record Office, have the following parish records online for Collingbourne Kingston:
Church of England
St. Mary (parish church)
The church of St. Mary is a building of flint and stone in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave of four bays, aisles, south porch and an embattled western tower with pinnacles, containing 6 bells: in the chancel is an elaborate monument to Sir Gabriel Pile kt. of Collingbourne, and his wife, who died early in the 17th century, and there is a brass to Constantine Darell and his wife, dated 1495: the stained windows in the chancel were presented in 1865 and 1872 as memorials to the Mackrell family: there is also a stained window in the south aisle in memory of the Rev. Charles A. Poore, vicar 1839 to 1879: the church was restored in 1861 at a cost of about £1,600, and the chancel in 1862 by the Ecclesiastical Commissioners at a cost of nearly £400: the church affords 350 sittings.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Collingbourne Kingston from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Collingbourn-Kingstone (St. Mary))
Online maps of Collingbourne Kingston are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Wiltshire papers online: