UK Genealogy Archives logo
DISCLOSURE: This page may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a commission.

Collingbourne Ducis, Wiltshire

Historical Description

Collingbourne Ducis, a village and a parish in Wilts. The village stands on an affluent of the river Avon, with a station on the M. & S.W. Junction railway, 75 miles from London, and has a post and money order office under Marlborough; telegraph office at the railway station. The parish comprises 3431 acres; population, 344. The manor belonged to the Duchy of Lancaster, whence the name Ducis, and passed to the Seymours. Collingbourne Heath and Collingbourne Wood lie east of the village. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Salisbury; net value, £326 with residence. Patron, the Marquis of Ailesbury. The church is ancient, and has a tower said to have been built for a dovecot; it was restored in 1877.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountyWiltshire 
Ecclesiastical parishCollingbourn-Ducis St. Andrew 
HundredElstub and Everley 
Poor Law unionPewsey 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Church Records

The Phillimore transcript of Marriages at Collingbourne Ducis 1654-1837, Wiltshire is available to browse online.

The register dates from 1640.

Findmypast, in association with the Wiltshire Record Office, have the following parish records online for Collingbourne Ducis:

BaptismsBannsMarriagesBurials
1600-19171654-18201606-18351606-1900

Churches

Church of England

St. Andrew (parish church)

The church of St. Andrew is an ancient edifice of flint and stone, in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave, south porch, and an embattled western tower containing a clock and 5 bells: the tower was restored in 1902, and all the bells refitted and retuned, at a cost of £380; the tower has its middle stage constructed with internal niches so as to form a dovecote, an entrance (now closed) being left on the south side. The stained east window was given by Mr. John Russ in 1880, in memory of his wife, and the west window by Mr. John Mackrell as a memorial to his parents and family: in 1897 a memorial window was erected to the Rev. Canon J. D. Hodgson M.A.. rector of the parish 1875-96: the chancel was rebuilt by the Rev. W. C. Lukis M.A. a former rector, and in 1877 the church was restored at a cost of £1,300, under the direction of the late Sir Arthur W. Blomfield A.R.A. architect (d. 1899): there are 225 sittings: some ground was added to the churchyard and consecrated in 1878.

Methodist

Primitive Methodist Chapel

Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Collingbourne Ducis from the following:


Maps

Online maps of Collingbourne Ducis are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Wiltshire papers online:

CountyWiltshire
RegionSouth West
CountryEngland
Postal districtSN8
Post TownMarlborough

Advertisement

Advertisement