UK Genealogy Archives logo

Colerne, Wiltshire

Historical Description

Colerne, a parish in Wiltshire, 600 feet above sea level, near the Fosse Way, 2 miles NNE of Box station on the G.W.R., and 3½ WNW of Corsham. It has a post and money order office under Chippenham; telegraph office, Box. Acreage, 3928; population, 1076. The surface is hilly. There is an ancient camp on Colerne Down, another in Colerne Park, and remains of Danish fortifications at Lucknam. Remains of Roman villas were found in a field near the entrance to Lucknam Park, but they have mostly been neglected or ruthlessly destroyed. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol; value, £137 with residence. Patron, New College, Oxford. The church is partly Norman, and was restored in 1875. There are Congregational, Baptist, and Methodist chapels.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountyWiltshire 
Ecclesiastical parishColerne St. John the Baptist 
HundredChippenham 
Poor Law unionChippenham 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Church Records

The Phillimore transcript of Marriages at Colerne 1661-1812, Wiltshire is available to browse online.

The Phillimore transcript of Marriages at Colerne 1560-1575 and 1640-1651, Wiltshire is available to browse online.

The parish register dates from the year 1560.

Findmypast, in association with the Wiltshire Record Office, have the following parish records online for Colerne:

BaptismsBannsMarriagesBurials
1606-19171662-18151560-19331607-1959

Churches

Church of England

St. John the Baptist (parish church)

The church of St. John the Baptist is an ancient and very beautiful building of stone, in the Late Norman and subsequent styles, consisting of chancel with chantry, nave of four bays, aisles, south porch and a fine Perpendicular embattled western tower, with pinnacles, containing a clock and 8 bells; on the north wall of the sanctuary are three sedilia with 14th century canopies, restored and replaced in 1903: some remains of a Saxon cross and a fragment of a reredos are preserved in the church, which was thoroughly restored in 1875, under the direction of Mr. Willcox, architect, of Bath, at a cost of £4,000, chiefly contributed by the late Richard Walmesley esq. and the late William Poynder esq.: there are sittings for 400 persons.

Baptist

Baptist Chapel

Congregational

Congregational Chapel

Methodist

Primitive Methodist Chapel

Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Colerne from the following:


Maps

Online maps of Colerne are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Wiltshire papers online:

CountyWiltshire
RegionSouth West
CountryEngland
Postal districtSN14
Post TownChippenham