Chute Forest, Wiltshire
Chute Forest, an extra-parochial tract in Wiltshire, on the verge of the county, 5 miles NE by N of Ludgershall. Post town, Andover; telegraph office, Weyhill. Acreage, 1973; population, 119. This tract was formerly part of a forest, which extended eastward far into Hants, and northward to the skirts of Savernake. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Salisbury; value, £95. The church was rebuilt in 1875 in the Early English style.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Andover|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The register dates from the year 1875.
Findmypast, in association with the Wiltshire Record Office, have the following parish records online for Chute Forest:
Church of England
St. Mary (parish church)
The church of St. Mary, re-erected in 1875, by Thomas E. Fowle esq. is of flint and stone, in the Early English style, and consists of chancel, nave, south porch and a western tower with spire containing a clock and 6 bells: there are 200 sittings.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Chute Forest from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Chute-Forest)
Online maps of Chute Forest are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Wiltshire papers online: