Chute, a village and a parish in Wilts, on its eastern border. The village lies to the south of the Roman road from Winchester to Hungerford, under Cliute Down, 4 miles NE of Ludgershall, and 8 NW of Andover. It has a post and money order office of the name of Chute Standen under Andover; telegraph office, Ludgershall. The parish includes the hamlets of Upper Chute, Cadley, and Chute Stan-den. Acreage, 3256; population, 388. Conholt Park and Standen House are chief residences. Haydon Hill Castle, on the farm of Fosbury, is an ancient camp. The parish is a resort of sportsmen. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Salisbury; net value, £198 with residence (vicarial tithe rent commuted at £302 with 30 acres of glebe). Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Winchester. The church,. dedicated to St Nicolas, has been entirely rebuilt in the Early English style. The chancel was rebuilt in 1869, and the nave in 1871. The Ecclesiastical Commissioners are the impropriators of the great tithes. There are two Wesleyan chapels. Corderoy the divine was a native.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Chute St. Nicholas|
|Poor Law union||Andover|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The register dates from the year 1580.
Findmypast, in association with the Wiltshire Record Office, have the following parish records online for Chute:
Church of England
St. Nicholas (parish church)
The church of St. Nicholas, entirely rebuilt in 1871, and reopened 15th August, 1872, is of flint with red brick and stone facings, in the Early English style, and consists of chancel, nave, small south transept, south porch and a south-western tower, with spire, containing a clock and 2 bells: there is a fine piscina, with oak leaf and ball flower ornamenting the altar rails, and an ancient Norman font: the chancel was entirely rebuilt in 1869, at a cost of £500, by the late Thomas Everett Fowle esq. J.P. of Chute Lodge, from designs by the late J. L. Pearson esq. R.A. and contains a stained glass window to the memory of the Rev. L. Ridley, vicar from 1885 to 1902: a new organ was presented in 1910 by George Knowles esq.: there are 288 sittings: the churchyard is sheltered on the south-west by a row of yew trees. A piece of land was added to the churchyard in 1887, and consecrated by the Bishop of Sarum.
Primitive Methodist Chapel
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Chute from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Chute (St. Nicholas))
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Wiltshire papers online: