Chitterne All Saints, Wiltshire
Chitterne All Saints, a parish in Wiltshire, on an affluent of the river Wiley, near Knook Castle, 4 miles from Codford station on the G.W.R., and 8¾ E by S of Warminster. Post town, Bath; money order and telegraph office, Codford St Mary. Acreage, 4449; population, 428. The parish is a meet for the South Wilts hounds. The living is a vicarage, united with the vicarage of Chitterne St Mary, in the diocese of Salisbury; joint net value, £176. Patron, alternately the Bishop of Salisbury and the Dean and Chapter. The church was built in 1861, after designs by Wyatt; is in the Perpendicular English style, 102 feet long and 52 wide; has an apsidal chancel with four unsymmetrical windows, and a western tower 56 feet high; and consists of stone and flint, with Bath stone dressings.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Chittern All Saints
|Poor Law union
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The register dates from the year 1654.
Findmypast, in association with the Wiltshire Record Office, have the following parish records online for Chitterne All Saints:
Church of England
All Saints (parish church)
The church of Chitterne All Saints, erected in 1861 on a site presented by the late Walter Long esq. is of stone and flint, in squares, in the Perpendicular and Decorated styles, and consists of apsidal chancel, clerestoried nave of four bays, aisles and an embattled western tower, with pinnacles, containing a clock and 5 bells, the lower portion of the tower forming a porch: the chancel has three stained windows, and there are several memorial tablets to the Mitchell and Onslow families: the church will seat about 530 persons.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Chitterne All Saints from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Chittern (All Saints))
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Wiltshire papers online:
- Salisbury and Winchester Journal
- Devizes and Wiltshire Gazette
- Wiltshire Independent
- Swindon Advertiser and North Wilts Chronicle
By an Order of the Local Government Board, No. 47,951, dated 17th January, 1907, known as the "County of Wilts (Chitterne) Confirmation Order, 1907," the civil parishes of Chitterne All Saints and Chitterne St. Mary were amalgamated to form one parish, to be known as the parish of Chitterne, from and after the 1st day of March, 1907. For ecclesiastical purposes they still remain separate.