UK Genealogy Archives logo

Chisledon, Wiltshire

Historical Description

Chisledon, a village and a parish in Wilts. The village stands 4 miles SE of Swindon, and 8 S of Highworth, with a station on the Midland and South-Western Junction railway, 84 miles from London. It has a post office under Swindon; money order office, Wroughton; telegraph office, the railway station. The parish includes also the tithings of Badbury, Hodson, and Coatc, where there is a small mission house. Acreage, 4917; population, 1204. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Salisbury; net value, £93 with residence. The church dates from the 12th century, is dedicated to the Holy Cross, and the chancel, nave, and aisles were thoroughly restored in 1893. There are Wesleyan Methodist and Primitive Methodist chapels, and a mission house. Burderop is a seat in the neighbourhood.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountyWiltshire 
Ecclesiastical parishChisledon Holy Cross 
HundredKingsbridge 
Poor Law unionHighworth and Swindon 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Cemeteries

A cemetery of 1&frac;12; acres was formed in 1877, at a cost of £1,100, with two mortuary chapels.


Church Records

The Phillimore transcript of Marriages at Chisledon 1641-1812, Wiltshire is available to browse online.

The parish register dates from the year 1641.


Churches

Church of England

Holy Cross (parish church)

The church of the Holy Cross is a plain edifice of stone in the Norman style, consisting of chancel, nave of four bays, aisles, south porch and an embattled tower with pinnacles containing 5 bells: there are several monuments and tablets to the families of Mellish, Calley, Browne and Crowdy: the east window is stained, and there is a memorial to John Browne esq.; one, erected by his brother officers in 1894, to Capt. J. D. Calley, 16th Lancers, who died at Lucknow; a memorial window to Capt. H. Calley R.H.A. who died in India in 1898, and another to Mrs. H. Calley, placed in 1906: the church was restored in 1893, at a cost of over £2,000: a vestry and organ chamber were added in 1894: there are 292 sittings. The churchyard was closed by an Order in Council in 1879.

Methodist

Primitive Methodist Chapel
Primitive Methodist Chapel
Wesleyan Chapel
Wesleyan Chapel
Wesleyan Chapel

Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Chisledon from the following:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Wiltshire papers online: