Chilton Folliatt, Wiltshire
Chilton-Folliatt, a parish in Wilts and Berks, on the river Rennet, 2¼ miles NW by W of Hungerford station on the G.W.R. It includes the hamlet of Leverton, and has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Hungerford. Acreage, 3494; population, 525. The manor belonged to the Foliatts; passed to the Warines and others; and was given by Sutton to the Charterhouse. Chilton House and Chilton Lodge are chief residences. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Salisbury; value, e£595 with residence. The church is very good, and contains some old monuments. There is a Wesleyan chapel.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Chilton-Foliatt St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Hungerford|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The register dates from the year 1530.
Church of England
St. Mary (parish church)
The church of St. Mary is a building of stone, in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave of four bays, aisles, and an embattled western tower with pinnacles, containing a clock and 5 bells: in the chancel are several monuments of the Popham family, and several of the windows are stained: there is also a recumbent effigy in armour of one of the Darell family, the former owners of Littlecote: the church affords 400 sittings.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Chilton Folliatt from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Chilton-Foliatt (St. Mary))
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Wiltshire papers online: