Castle Eaton, Wiltshire
Castle-Eaton, a small village and a parish in Wilts. The village stands on the river Thames, adjacent to the Thames and Severn Canal, 3½ miles ENE of Cricklade, and 6½ NE of Purton railway station. The parish includes also the tithing of Lushill. It has a post and money order office under Fairford; telegraph office, Fairford. Acreage, 1979; population, 288. Lushill House is the seat of the Archers. A place called the Butts seems to have been notable in old times for the practice of archery. The parish is famous for cheese. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol; value, £625 with residence. The church dates from about 1400, and has a singular cupola. It has been much improved, the tower having been restored, and four stained glass windows placed in the chancel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Castle-Eaton St. Mary
|Poor Law union
|Highworth and Swindon
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The Phillimore transcript of Marriages at Castle Eaton 1549-1812, Wiltshire is available to browse online.
The register dates from the year 1549.
Findmypast, in association with the Wiltshire Record Office, have the following parish records online for Castle Eaton:
Church of England
St. Mary (parish church)
The church of St. Mary is an edifice of stone in the Norman and Early English styles, consisting of chancel, nave of three bays, north aisle, south porch and an embattled western tower, with pinnacles, containing 6 bells, and over the chancel arch is a fine octagonal bell turret: in the tower is a marble monument to Walter Parker, of Lushill, who died 1664: the stained east window is a memorial to John Gandy esq. who died in 1857, and there are four other stained windows: the north wall retains a painting of the Virgin and Child: there are sittings for 200 persons.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Castle Eaton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Castle-Eaton (St. Mary))
Online maps of Castle Eaton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Wiltshire papers online: