Buttermere, a parish in Wilts, 5 miles S of Hungerford railway station. Post town, Hungerford, which is the telegraph office; money order office, Shalbourne. Acreage, 1502; population, 138. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Salisbury; net value, £155 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of Oxford.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Buttermere St. James|
|Poor Law union||Hungerford|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The register dates from the year 1727.
Findmypast, in association with the Wiltshire Record Office, have the following parish records online for Buttermere:
Church of England
St. James (parish church)
The church of St. James, restored in 1852, is a plain edifice of stone in the Early English style, and consists of chancel, nave and a central tower with spire containing one bell: there are sittings for 86 persons.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Buttermere from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Buttermere (St. James))
Online maps of Buttermere are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Wiltshire papers online: