UK Genealogy Archives logo
DISCLOSURE: This page may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a commission.

Burcombe, Wiltshire

Historical Description

Burcombe, a parish in Wilts, on the river Nadder, 2 miles W of Wilton railway station. It includes the tithing of North Burcombe, and is itself sometimes called South Burcombe. It has a post office under Salisbury; money order and telegraph office, Wilton. Acreage, 1864; population of the civil parish, 330; of the ecclesiastical, 305. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Salisbury; net value, £59 with residence. Patron, the Prior of St John's Hospital, Burcombe. The church is so old as to have traces of Saxon, and was restored and enlarged in 1860.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Church Records

The earliest register bears date 1682.

Findmypast, in association with the Wiltshire Record Office, have the following parish records online for Burcombe:

BaptismsBannsMarriagesBurials
1611-1880 1611-18461611-1880

Churches

Church of England

St. John the Baptist (parish church)

The church of St. John the Baptist, formerly a chapel attached to the Hospital of St. John at Ditchampton, in this parish, is a small but ancient building of stone, consisting of a Saxon chancel, nave of four bays, north aisle, and a low tower containing one bell: the aisle was enlarged and a vestry added in 1858: the east window is stained, and on the south side of the chancel are two memorial windows: the church was restored in 1858, and affords 170 sittings.


Maps

Online maps of Burcombe are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Wiltshire papers online:

CountyWiltshire
RegionSouth West
CountryEngland
Postal districtSP2
Post TownSalisbury

Advertisement

Advertisement