UK Genealogy Archives logo
DISCLOSURE: This page may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a commission.

Bulkington, Wiltshire

Historical Description

Bulkington, a parish in Wilts, 6 miles E of Trowbridge. Post town, Devizes; money order office, Seend; telegraph office, Potterne. Acreage, 974; population, 172. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Salisbury; gross value, £74. There are the remains of an ancient bull ring in the village, where bull-baiting took place up to modern times. There is also remaining a fine pedestal of a large wayside cross. There is a Methodist chapel.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountyWiltshire 
Civil parishKeevil 
HundredMelksham 
Poor Law unionWestbury and Whorwelsdown 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Church Records

The register dates from the year 1860.

Findmypast, in association with the Wiltshire Record Office, have the following parish records online for Bulkington:

BaptismsBannsMarriagesBurials
1860-1880  1860-1880

Churches

Church of England

Christ Church (parish church)

Christ Church is a plain building of stone, in the Gothic style, consisting of chancel, nave and a western belfry with 1 bell: there are 100 sittings.

Methodist

Wesleyan Chapel

Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Bulkington from the following:


Maps

Online maps of Bulkington are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Wiltshire papers online:

CountyWiltshire
RegionSouth West
CountryEngland
Postal districtSN10
Post TownDevizes

Advertisement

Advertisement