Broad Hinton, Wiltshire
Broad-Hinton, a parish in Wilts, 4½ miles SE of Wootton-Basset station on the G.W.R., and 6 SSW of Swindon, under which it has a post and money order office; telegraph office, Wroughton. Acreage, 3114; population, 372. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Salisbury; net value, £127. Patron, St Nicholas Hospital, Salisbury. The church is old but good, and has a square embattled tower and several curious and interesting monuments to the Wroughton and Glanville families. It was thoroughly restored in 1880. The vicarage of Broad-Town is a separate benefice. Sir John Glanville, the eminent lawyer and Speaker of the Short Parliament, was a resident, and is buried in the church. There is a reading-room and small library.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Broad Hinton St. Peter|
|Poor Law union||Marlborough|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The register dates from the year 1604.
Findmypast, in association with the Wiltshire Record Office, have the following parish records online for Broad Hinton:
Church of England
St. Peter ad Vincula (parish church)
The church of St. Peter-ad-Vincula is an ancient building of stone in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave, organ chamber, south porch, and an embattled western tower of Perpendicular date, with pinnacles and containing 6 bells and chiming apparatus: the oak roof of the nave, erected in 1634, is a fine specimen of combined hammer and tie-beam construction: there is a tomb with life-size alabaster figure of Colonel Francis Glanvil, dated 1645; a monument to Sir Thomas and Lady Wroughton and their eight children kneeling, dated 1597; a mural tablet to Sir John Glanvil, Speaker of the Short Parliament, who was buried in the chancel, dated 1661, and a memorial to the great Duke of Wellington, d. 14 Sept. 1852, being then lord of this manor, consisting of his crest, encircled by the Garter, richly painted on black satin, and framed and glazed: there are some excellent modern stained windows: the church was restored in 1843 and again in 1880, at a cost of £2,300: there are sittings for 270 persons. The churchyard was enlarged in 1882, and has a lych gate, put up in 1884.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Broad Hinton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Hinton, Broad (St. Peter))
Online maps of Broad Hinton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Wiltshire papers online: