Brixton Deverill, Wiltshire
Brixton-Deverill, a parish in Wilts, on a headstream of the river Wiley, and on the Roman road to Salisbury, 5 miles S of Warminster station on the G.W.R. Post town, Warminster, which is the money order and telegraph office. Acreage, 2487; population, 112. Alfred halted here a night on his march against the Danes. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Salisbury; value, £480. Patron, the Bishop of Salisbury. The church was repaired in 1862.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Brixton-Deverill St. Michael|
|Poor Law union||Warminster|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The register dates from the year 1653.
Findmypast, in association with the Wiltshire Record Office, have the following parish records online for Brixton Deverill:
Church of England
St. Michael (parish church)
The church of St. Michael is a building of stone, in the Early English style, restored and reseated and the chancel lengthened 14 feet in 1862: it consists of chancel, nave and a western tower, containing one bell: there are six stained windows: the church had sittings for 100 persons. The church is now closed and is a private residence.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Brixton Deverill from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Brixton-Deverill (St. Michael))
Online maps of Brixton Deverill are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Wiltshire papers online: