Bremilham or Cowage, Wiltshire
Bremilham or Cowage, an ecclesiastical parish in Wilts, on the river Avon, near Akeman Street, 2 miles SW by W of Malmesbury station on the G.W.R. Post town, Malmesbury, which is the money order and telegraph office. Population, 44. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol; gross value, £106.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The register dates from the year 1790.
Church of England
The church was a very small and plain structure, and was pulled down in the late 19th century, but the ground is still used as a cemetery, and there is a small stone building used as a mortuary chapel. The inhabitants attend the church at Foxley.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Bremilham or Cowage from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Bremilham, or Cowich)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Wiltshire papers online: