UK Genealogy Archives logo
DISCLOSURE: This page may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a commission.

Bremhill or Bremble, Wiltshire

Historical Description

Bremhill or Bremble, a village and a parish in Wilts. The village stands on the Roman road to Bath, near the Wilts and Berks Canal, 2¼ miles from Calne station on the G.W.R., and 4 E by N of Chippenham. It has a post office under Calne, which is the money order and telegraph office. The parish includes also the tithings of East Tytherton, Studley, Spirthill, Charlcott, and Fosham. Acreage, 5912; population of the civil parish, 1090; of the ecclesiastical, with Highway, 1048. A farmhouse is built on the site of Studley House, formerly belonging to the Hungerfords. A monumental pillar, surmounted by a female figure in the costume of the time of Edward IV., is at Wickhill. The pillar and the figure are modern; from this point and from some other points around the village there are fine views. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Salisbury, with the rectory of Highway and Foxham annexed; gross value, £632 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of Salisbury. The church is an ivy-dad edifice in very good condition, and had a finely-carved rood-loft and rood-screen, which were destroyed when the church was "restored" in 1850. In the chancel is an elaborate and ugly monument to one of the Hungerfords, 1698. Two ancient crosses are adjacent, and several epitaphs in the churchyard are from the pen of the poet Bowles, who held the vicarage, and died in 1850. There are Wesleyan and Primitive Methodist chapels, and a Moravian settlement at East Tyherton. There are free libraries at Bremhill, Foxham, and Charlcott. There is a chapel of ease at Foxham, erected in 1880, and replacing the ancient chapel of St John the Baptist. Highway is a small parish (population, 74) annexed to Bremhill, which is nearly 5 miles distant. The church of St Peter was rebuilt, 1867, but the rood-screen has been preserved, and a portion of the old wall with a Norman doorway now closed up.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountyWiltshire 
Ecclesiastical parishBremhill St. Martin 
HundredChippenham 
Poor Law unionCalne 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Church Records

The register dates from March 28, 1591.


Churches

Church of England

St. Martin (parish church)

The church of St. Martin is a building of stone, in the Norman and Perpendicular styles; consisting of chancel, nave of three bays, aisles, south porch, and an embattled western tower with pinnacles, containing 6 bells: a stained window was placed in the church in 1864, in memory of a former vicar, Archdeacon Drury, and there are two others, placed by the Rev. Canon E. P. Eddrup M.A. vicar here 1868-1906: in the chancel is a monument to the last Hungerford of Gadenham, d. 1698: the font dates from 1180: there are sittings for 250 persons.


Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Bremhill or Bremble from the following:


Maps

Online maps of Bremhill or Bremble are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Wiltshire papers online: