Boyton, a parish in Wilts, on the river Willy, adjacent to the G.W.R., ½ a mile NW of Codford station, and 2¼ SE of Heytesbury. Post town, Bath; money order and telegraph office, Codford-St-Mary. The area is 3944 acres; population of the civil parish, 291; of the ecclesiastical, 293. It includes Corton township. The manor belonged in the time of Henry II. to the Giffords, and passed to the Lamberts. The mansion on it was built in 1618 by Thomas Lambert, and was afterwards occupied by Bourke Lambert, who collected here upwards of 30,000 species of plants. A chasm in the neighbourhood of the grounds, called Chapel Hole, is popularly believed to have swallowed up a church. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Salisbury; net value, £302 with residence. Patron, Magdalen College, Oxford. The church dates from the latter part of the 12th century, was restored in 1860 at a cost of upwards of £2000, and contains grand monuments of the Giffords and several memorial windows.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Boyton St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Warminster|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The Phillimore transcript of Marriages at Boyton 1560-1837, Wiltshire is available to browse online.
The register dates from the year 1560.
Findmypast, in association with the Wiltshire Record Office, have the following parish records online for Boyton:
Church of England
St. Mary the Virgin (parish church)
The church of St. Mary the Virgin is a building of stone and flint in the Early English style, and consists of chancel, nave, Lambert chapel, north transept, south porch and a western embattled tower containing 4 bells: the organ was provided in 1877, chiefly at the expense of H.R.H. the late Prince Leopold, Duke of Albany K.G. who resided for some time at Boyton Manor: the church was restored in 1860, and affords 260 sittings.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Boyton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Boyton (St. Mary))
Online maps of Boyton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Wiltshire papers online: