Bower Chalk, Wiltshire
Bower-Chalk, a parish in Wilts, near Cranborne Chase, 5 miles S of Dinton station on the L. & S.W.R., and 7½ SW of Wilton. Acreage, 3260; population of the civil parish, 461; of the ecclesiastical, 455. It has a post office under Salisbury; money order office, Broad Chalk; telegraph office, Dinton. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Salisbury; net value, £128 with residence; in the gift of King's College, Cambridge.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Bower-Chalk Holy Trinity|
|Poor Law union||Wilton|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The parish register dates from the year 1694.
Church of England
Holy Trinity (parish church)
The church of the Holy Trinity is a small cruciform building of stone, in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave of four bays, transepts, south aisle, north porch and an embattled tower, containing a clock and 3 bells: there are sittings for 280 persons.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Bower Chalk from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Bower-Chalk (Holy Trinity))
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Wiltshire papers online: