Berwick St John, Wiltshire
Berwick-St-John, a parish in Wilts, at the source of the Ebell river, under White Sheet Hills, near Cranborne Chase, 6 miles S of Tisbury station on the L. & S.W.R., and 5½ E by S of Shaftesbury. Acreage, 4569; population of civil parish, 428; of ecclesiastical, 387. It has a post office under Salisbury; money order and telegraph office, Donhead St Andrew. Wilklebury Camp, or Vespasian's Camp, on a lofty ridge in the SW, is an entrenchment of 12½ acres, engirt by a single ditch and by a rampart 39 feet high, and commands a very extensive view. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Salisbury; net value, £384 with residence. Patron, New College, Oxford, The church is a cruciform structure of the time of Henry VII., has a low, square, central, ornamented tower; was restored in 1861-62, and contains two ancient effigies of crusaders, and monuments of the Grove family and others. There are Wesleyan and Baptist chapels.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Berwick St. John|
|Poor Law union||Tisbury|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Findmypast, in association with the Wiltshire Record Office, have the following parish records online for Berwick St John:
Church of England
St. John the Baptist (parish church)
The parish church of St John the Baptist is an Early English cruciform edifice of stone, consisting of chancel, nave and transepts, and a finely ornamented low square central tower, terminating in battlements, of the date of Henry VII. and containing 6 bells and clock:there are monuments to the Grove and other families of distinction, and effigies, clad in mail, within mural arches, of Sir John Husey and Sir Robert Lucie: a stone coffin was found during the restoration of the church in 1861: the stained east window is a memorial to the family of Rev. C. A. Griffith M.A. rector 1842-80, to whom there is also a memorial window in the chancel, besides one to the Rev. Arthur Kemble M.A. rector 1880-90 and others to the Foot, Grove and Gilbert families: the curfew is tolled every evening, from September 10th to March 10th, a bequest for this purpose having been left by the Rev. John Gane in his will bearing date July 29th 1731: there are 270 sittings.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Berwick St John from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Berwick (St. John))
Online maps of Berwick St John are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Wiltshire papers online: