Berwick Bassett, Wiltshire
Berwick-Bassett, a parish in Wiltshire, 6 miles S by E of Wootton-Bassett station on the G.W.R., and 7 NW of Marlborough. It has a post office under Swindon; money order office, Broad Hinton; telegraph office, Avebury. Acreage, 1391; population, 165. The living is a vicarage, united in 1866 with Winterbourne-Monkton, in the diocese of Salisbury; value, £328. Patron, the Bishop of Salisbury.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Berwick-Bassett St. Nicholas|
|Poor Law union||Marlborough|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Findmypast, in association with the Wiltshire Record Office, have the following parish records online for Berwick Bassett:
Church of England
St. Nicholas (parish church)
The parish church of St Nicholas is an edifice of stone, in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave, south porch, and a turret with cupola containing 3 bells: in the chancel is a brass, with effigy and a Latin inscription to William Bailey, priest, 1427: the east window has some stained glass and there is an ancient font and carved oak rood screen: the church was repaired and re-seated in 1857, and affords 75 sittings.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Berwick Bassett from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Berwick-Bassett (St. Nicholas))
Online maps of Berwick Bassett are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Wiltshire papers online: