Baydon, a parish in Wiltshire, on the verge of the county, 3½ miles WSW of Lambourne, and 9 from Hungerford station on the G.W.R. It has a post office (R.S.O.); money order office, Aldbourne; telegraph office, Lambourne. Acreage, 2485; population, 263. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Salisbury; gross value, £165, in the gift of the Coutts family. The church was repaired in 1860. There are Wesleyan and Baptist chapels.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Baydon St. Nicholas|
|Poor Law union||Hungerford|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Findmypast, in association with the Wiltshire Record Office, have the following parish records online for Baydon:
Church of England
St. Nicholas (parish church)
The parish church of St Nicholas is an ancient edifice of stone, partly Norman, and consisting of chancel, nave of two bays, aisles, south porch and an embattled western tower containing 3 bells: the church was restored in 1857 and again in 1894, and affords 150 sittings.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Baydon from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Baydon (St. Nicholas))
Online maps of Baydon are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Wiltshire papers online: