Buglawton, a village, a township, and an ecclesiastical parish in Astbury parish, Cheshire. The township lies near the river Dane and the Macclesfield Canal, 1 mile NE of Congleton. It has a post and money order office (T.S.O.) under Congleton, which ia the telegraph office. Acreage, 2911; population, 1382. Buglawton Hall is the chief residence. There are several silk mills, and Turkish towels are manufactured. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Chester; net value, £282 with residence. Patron, the Rector of Astbury. The church was erected in 1840, and restored in 1873. There are Wesleyan and Primitive Methodist chapels.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Congleton|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
Transcript of the description from Pigot & Co. Directory of Cheshire, 1828-9
We have transcribed the entry for Buglawton from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Cheshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Buglawton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Cheshire papers online:
The Visitation of Cheshire, 1580 is available on the Heraldry page.