Alvesdiston or Alvediston, a parish in Wiltshire, on an affluent of the Avon, under Whitesheet Hill, 4 miles SSE of Tisbury station on the L. & S.W.R., and 8 E of Shaftesbury. Post town, Salisbury; telegraph office, Donhead St Andrew. Acreage, 2534; population, 195. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Salisbury; value, £136. Patron, the Vicar of Broad Chalk. The church is good.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Alvesdiston St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Tisbury|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Church of England
St. Mary the Virgin (parish church)
The parish church of St. Mary the Virgin is an ancient structure of stone, in the Transition style, consisting of chancel with north aisle, nave, transepts, south porch, and an embattled western tower with pinnacles containing 3 bells: the stained east window was given by Lady Herbery of Lea, in memory of her husband: the font is said to be Norman: the church was restored in 1866, and will seat 160 persons.
The registers date from the year 1592.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Alvesdiston from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Alvesdiston (St. Mary))
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Wiltshire papers online: