Alton Barnes, Wiltshire
Alton-Barnes or Alton-Berners, a parish in Wilts, on the Kennet and Avon Canal, near Wans Dyke, 7 miles E of Devizes station on the G.W.R. Post town, Oare under Marlborough; money order and telegraph office, Woodborough. Acreage, 608; population of the civil parish, 143; of the ecclesiastical, 147. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Salisbury; value, £235. Patron, New College, Oxford. The church is good.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Alton Barnes or Berners St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Devizes|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The Phillimore transcript of Marriages at Alton Barnes 1597-1812, Wiltshire is available to browse online.
Findmypast, in association with the Wiltshire Record Office, have the following parish records online for Alton Barnes:
Church of England
St. Mary (parish church)
The parish church of St. Mary is a small but ancient edifice of stone and plaster, consisting of chancel and nave only: there are 2 bells: the east window is stained, and there is a brass and several mural tablets to former rectors: there are 100 sittings.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Alton Barnes from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Alton Barnes or Berners (St. Mary))
Online maps of Alton Barnes are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Wiltshire papers online: