UK Genealogy Archives logo
DISCLOSURE: This page may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a commission.

Wortham, Suffolk

Historical Description

Wortham, a parish, with a scattered village, in Suffolk, 3 miles WSW of Diss station on the G.E.R. It has a post office under Diss; money order and telegraph office, Diss. Acreage, 2740; population, 852. There is a parish council consisting of eleven members. Wortham Manor House, Ellesmere House, and the Grove, are the chief residences. The Ling and the Long Green are two very large commons. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Norwich; net value, £600 with residence. Patron, King's College, Cambridge. The church is a large and ancient building in the Perpendicular style, with massive round tower in ruins. The nave and aisles have been thoroughly repaired. There are Primitive and Wesleyan Methodist chapels.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountySuffolk 
Ecclesiastical parishWortham St. Mary 
HundredHartismere 
Poor Law unionHartismere 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Wortham from the following:


Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Suffolk is available to browse.


Maps

Online maps of Wortham are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Suffolk papers online:

DistrictMid Suffolk
CountySuffolk
RegionEastern
CountryEngland
Postal districtIP22
Post TownDiss

Advertisement

Advertisement