UK Genealogy Archives logo
DISCLOSURE: This page may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a commission.

Woolpit, Suffolk

Historical Description

Woolpit, a parish, with a village, in Suffolk, 1½ mile SW of Elmswell station on the G.E.R;, and 5½ NW by W of Stowmarket. It has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Bury St Edmunds, and a fair on 16 Sept. Acreage, 1881; population, 1018. Bricks and tiles are made. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ely; gross value, £340 with residence. The church is a structure of flint in the Decorated style, with a handsome porch, tower, and spire. There are a Primitive Methodist chapel, a meeting-room for the Brethren, and a village institute.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountySuffolk 
Ecclesiastical parishWoolpit St. Mary 
HundredThedwastry 
Poor Law unionStow 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Woolpit from the following:


Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Suffolk is available to browse.


Maps

Online maps of Woolpit are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Suffolk papers online:

DistrictMid Suffolk
CountySuffolk
RegionEastern
CountryEngland
Postal districtIP30
Post TownBury St. Edmunds

Advertisement

Advertisement