UK Genealogy Archives logo
DISCLOSURE: This page may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a commission.

Wickham Skeith, Suffolk

Historical Description

Wickham Skeith, a parish, with a village, in Suffolk, 2 miles E of Finningham station on the G.E.R., and 4½ SW by S of Eye, Post town, Stonham. Acreage, 1782; population, 439. There is a parish council consisting of nine members. Wickham Hall was rebuilt in 1846, and is now the parsonage. Many Saxon coins have been found. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Norwich; net value, £115 with residence. The church is an ancient building of flint in the Perpendicular style. There are a chapel of ease and a Wesleyan chapel.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountySuffolk 
Ecclesiastical parishWickham-Skeith St. Andrew 
HundredHartismere 
Poor Law unionHartismere 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Wickham Skeith from the following:


Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Suffolk is available to browse.


Maps

Online maps of Wickham Skeith are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Suffolk papers online:

DistrictMid Suffolk
CountySuffolk
RegionEastern
CountryEngland
Postal districtIP23
Post TownEye

Advertisement

Advertisement