UK Genealogy Archives logo
DISCLOSURE: This page may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a commission.

Wangford with Henham, Suffolk

Historical Description

Wangford, a parish, with Wangford village and Henham hamlet, in Suffolk, 3 miles from Southwold station on the G.E.R., and 7 E by N of Halesworth. It has a post, money order, and telegraph office (R.S.O.) Acreage, 3285; population of the civil parish, 565; of the ecclesiastical, with Henham and Reydon, 1079. There is a parish council consisting of nine members. A Cluniac priory, a cell to Thetford, was founded here before 1160 by Dondo Asini. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Norwich, with Henham and Reydon annexed; net value, £160 with residence. Patron, the Earl of Stradbroke. The church is an ancient edifice of flint in the Perpendicular style, and was restored and enlarged in 1875. There is a Primitive Methodist chapel.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5


The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountySuffolk 
Ecclesiastical parishWangford St. Peter 
Poor Law unionBlything 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.

Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Wangford with Henham from the following:

Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Suffolk is available to browse.


Online maps of Wangford with Henham are available from a number of sites:

Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Suffolk papers online: