UK Genealogy Archives logo
DISCLOSURE: This page may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a commission.

Tostock, Suffolk

Historical Description

Tostock, a parish in Suffolk, 1½ mile W of Elmswell station on the G.E.R., and 6½ miles E by S of Bury St Edmunds. It has a post office under Bury St Edmunds; money order office, Norton; telegraph office, Woolpit. Acreage, 952; population, 298. Tostock Hall and Tostock House are chief residences. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ely; gross value, £230 with residence. The church is old but good, and was thoroughly restored in 1890. There is a Wesleyan chapel.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountySuffolk 
Ecclesiastical parishTostock St. Andrew 
HundredThedwastry 
Poor Law unionStow 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Tostock from the following:


Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Suffolk is available to browse.


Maps

Online maps of Tostock are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Suffolk papers online:

DistrictMid Suffolk
CountySuffolk
RegionEastern
CountryEngland
Postal districtIP30
Post TownBury St. Edmunds

Advertisement

Advertisement