UK Genealogy Archives logo
DISCLOSURE: This page may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a commission.

Stratford St Mary, Suffolk

Historical Description

Stratford St Mary, a parish, with a village, in Suffolk, on the river Stour, which is crossed by an iron bridge erected in 1876, at or near the Roman Ad Ansam, 11 miles SW from Ipswich, and 4 S from Ardleigh station on the Colchester and Ipswich section of the G.E.R. It has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Colchester. Acreage, 1503; population, 522. There is a parish council consisting of nine members. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Norwich; net value, £220 with residence. Patron, the Duchy of Lancaster. The church, erected in the 15th century, is a fine building of flint and stone in the Perpendicular style. It was beautifully restored in 1876-79. There are a parochial library, a Congregational chapel, and some small charities. The kennels of the Essex and Suffolk fox-hounds are in this parish.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5


The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountySuffolk 
Ecclesiastical parishStratford St. Mary 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.

Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Stratford St Mary from the following:

Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Suffolk is available to browse.


Online maps of Stratford St Mary are available from a number of sites:

Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Suffolk papers online:

Postal districtCO7
Post TownColchester