UK Genealogy Archives logo
DISCLOSURE: This page may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a commission.

Stoke by Nayland, Suffolk

Historical Description

Stoke-by-Nayland, a parish, with a village, in Suffolk, 2 miles NE of Nayland, and 7 N of Colchester station on the G.E.R. It has a post and money order office under Colchester; telegraph office, Nayland. Acreage, 5433; population of the civil parish, 992; of the ecclesiastical, 863. There is a parish council consisting of seven members and a chairman. A monastery was founded here by the Saxon Earl Algar. Tendring Hall is a fine mansion of brick standing in a park, and is the property of the Rowley family, who are lords of the manor. Giffords Hall is a large ancient Tudor mansion, dating in part from the time of Henry VI. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ely; net value, £210. Patron, Sir J. T. Rowley, Bart. The church is a spacious ancient building of flint in the Perpendicular style, with a lofty tower, and was restored in 1865. There are a Roman Catholic chapel, almshouses, and other charities. Lord Mayor Capel, ancestor of the Earl of Essex, was a native.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountySuffolk 
Ecclesiastical parishStoke-Near-Nayland St. Mary 
HundredBabergh 
Poor Law unionSudbury 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Stoke by Nayland from the following:


Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Suffolk is available to browse.


Maps

Online maps of Stoke by Nayland are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Suffolk papers online:

Advertisement

Advertisement