UK Genealogy Archives logo
DISCLOSURE: This page may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a commission.

Sproughton, Suffolk

Historical Description

Sproughton, a parish, with a village, in Suffolk, on the river Gipping, 3 miles W by N of Ipswich, and 1 mile S from Bramford station on the Ipswich and Norwich section of the G.E.R. It has a post office under Ipswich; money order and telegraph office, Bramford. Acreage, 2438; population, 583. There is a parish council consisting of nine members. The Chauntry is a fine country mansion standing on an eminence, and surrounded by beautiful grounds. There are also several other chief residences in the parish. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Norwich; net value, £302 with residence. Patron, the Marquis of Bristol. The church is an ancient building of flint, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles, S porch, and an embattled western tower.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountySuffolk 
Ecclesiastical parishSproughton All Saints 
HundredSamford 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Sproughton from the following:


Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Suffolk is available to browse.


Maps

Online maps of Sproughton are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Suffolk papers online:

DistrictBabergh
CountySuffolk
RegionEastern
CountryEngland
Postal districtIP8
Post TownIpswich

Advertisement

Advertisement