UK Genealogy Archives logo
DISCLOSURE: This page may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a commission.

South Elmham All Saints cum St Nicholas, Suffolk

Historical Description

Elmham (South) All Saints-cum-St Nicholas, a parish in Suffolk, 5 miles S from Bungay, and 5 NW from Halesworth station on the G.E. and Southwold railway. Post town, money order, and telegraph office for All Saints, Halesworth; and for St Nicholas, Harleston. Acreage/ 1641; population, 241. The living is a rectory, united with the rectory of South Elmham St Nicholas, in the diocese of Norwich; net value, £220. The church of All Saints is an ancient building of flint, has a round tower, and contains a square Norman font. The church of St Nicholas has been a, ruin since 1620.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountySuffolk 
Ecclesiastical parishSouth Elmham St. Nicholas 
Ecclesiastical parishSouth Elmham All Saints 
HundredWangford 
Poor Law unionWangford 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for South Elmham All Saints cum St Nicholas from the following:


Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Suffolk is available to browse.


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Suffolk papers online:

Advertisement

Advertisement