UK Genealogy Archives logo
DISCLOSURE: This page may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a commission.

Somerton, Suffolk

Historical Description

Somerton, a parish in Suffolk, 10 miles NNW of Sudbury, 3 from Bury St Edmunds, 7 from Long Melford station and, 6 N from Glemsford station, both on the Cambridge and Colchester branch of the G.E.R. Post town, Bury St Edmunds; money order and telegraph office, Hartest. Acreage, 1015; population of the civil parish, 141; of the ecclesiastical, 125. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ely; gross value, £242 with residence. Patron, the Marquis of Downshire. The church is a small but ancient edifice of flint in the Early English style, consisting of chancel with S chapel, nave, S porch, and a square embattled western tower.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountySuffolk 
Ecclesiastical parishSomerton St. Margaret 
HundredBabergh 
Poor Law unionSudbury 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Somerton from the following:


Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Suffolk is available to browse.


Maps

Online maps of Somerton are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Suffolk papers online:

DistrictBabergh
CountySuffolk
RegionEastern
CountryEngland
Postal districtIP29
Post TownBury St. Edmunds

Advertisement

Advertisement