UK Genealogy Archives logo
DISCLOSURE: This page may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a commission.

Shimpling, Suffolk

Historical Description

Shimpling or Shimplingthorne, a parish, with a village, in Suffolk, 4 miles NW by W of Lavenham station on the Bury and Colchester section of the G.E.R., and 7½ S from Bury St Edmunds. It has a post office under Bury St Edmunds; money order and telegraph office, Cockfield. Acreage, 2702; population, 464. The manor with Cadacre Hall, a modern mansion standing in a park of 95 acres, belongs to the Weller Poley family. Thorne Court is a chief residence. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ely; net value, £491 with residence. The church is a plain building in the Decorated style, consisting of chancel, nave, S aisle, S porch, and an embattled western tower.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountySuffolk 
Ecclesiastical parishShimpling St. George 
HundredBabergh 
Poor Law unionSudbury 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Shimpling from the following:


Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Suffolk is available to browse.


Maps

Online maps of Shimpling are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Suffolk papers online:

DistrictBabergh
CountySuffolk
RegionEastern
CountryEngland
Postal districtIP29
Post TownBury St. Edmunds

Advertisement

Advertisement