UK Genealogy Archives logo
DISCLOSURE: This page may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a commission.

Sapiston, Suffolk

Historical Description

Sapiston, a parish, with a village, in Suffolk, on an affluent of the Little Ouse river, 3 miles NNW of Ixworth, 5 W of Ingham station, and 5 NW from Barnham station, both on the Bury and Thetford section of the G.E.R. Post town, Bury St Edmunds; money order and telegraph office, Ixworth. Acreage, 1282; population, 233. The property belongs to the Duke of Grafton, who is also lord of the manor. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ely; net value, £112. Patron, the Duke of Grafton. The church is a building of flint and rubble in the Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel, nave, S porch, and a square western embattled tower. The nave has a roof of thatch, and the church contains a fine Norman doorway, a Norman font, a piscina, and a beautifully carved oak reredos.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5


The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountySuffolk 
Ecclesiastical parishSapiston St. Andrew 
Poor Law unionThetford 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.

Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Sapiston from the following:

Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Suffolk is available to browse.


Online maps of Sapiston are available from a number of sites:

Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Suffolk papers online:

DistrictSt. Edmundsbury
Postal districtIP31
Post TownBury St. Edmunds